ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] Dialogs   [Discuss]

By: Liviu       
Date: May 23,2003 at 13:11
In Response to: [Discuss] Dialogs (Ben Kent)

> At present when information is required for a command, i.e. the destination
> for copy command, the information is prompted for in the menu area.
> This is effectively a dialog box, requesting the information.

That's not any dialog, I don't expect ZTree to talk back ;-)

Seriously, I tend to think of it more as a command line than a dialog box, not that it matters.

> If it is a dialog then why not turn it into a proper dialog like the Alt-Info one.

Kindly please rephrase "turn it into" as "provide an alternative". I'd really hate to lose the command area as it is now.

> This would solve the screen space problems that have caused various compromises
> for some commands, also commands that require multiple prompts at present could
> be changed into one dialog with TAB or RETURN to step to the next field.

This would also introduce different problems. One advantage of the bottom area entry is that it doesn't obstruct the screen. I often eyeball the active DW/FW upstairs while typing-in the required info downstairs. Granted, a text-mode "dialog" could be movable (or even draggable, perish the thought), still it would necessarily cover some of the active area. And, just for the record, I am not speaking of GUI dialogs - these are out of the question, anyway, until the ANSI/OEM issues are settled and, hopefully, ever after.

> What do people think?

I am not against the idea per se, but I see it as requiring considerable effort which might arguably be better spent elsewhere. This said, discussions never hurt ;-)

> Ben

Cheers,
Liviu

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 56 users online (1 registered, 55 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 1:36 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,407,703  (22,489 Today )
RSS Feed