ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] CO's 1P and 1Q   [Discuss]

By: Michael Kahn       
Date: Jun 24,2003 at 12:17

I have:
CO-1P (Disk logging method) set to "root only" and
CO-1Q (Log files in disk root) set to "No".

When I set up a new user I use these settings as well. Today I was instructing a user by phone on how to delete all the files in a single directory. I had them [L]og the drive (which they said they currently did not have logged), then [\] treespec to the target dir, press [Enter], then do a Ctrl+[T]ag. For some reason, instead of completing the instruction by telling them to do a Ctrl+[D]elete I decided to go to their desk to make sure everything was OK. When I got there I checked to see if only the target branch was logged and I was surprised to see that the root was also logged and tagged! I checked the options and found that CO-1Q had beeen changed to "Yes", so that when the user pressed "\" the root was automatically logged. It is easy to miss this if you move your eyes immediately to the treespec prompt to complete the string.
I think that you should have to press [Enter], + or * to log the root.

I realize, in retrospec, that Alt+Prune would have been safer, but I assume that both methods are very common. The point here is, that having CO-1Q set to "Yes" when you have CO-1P set to "root only" is an accident waiting to happen. I think that either this combination of CO settings should not be allowed or pressing "\" should not log the root. What good is this CO combo, anyway? Before Kim put in CO-1Q (after one of my more intense campaigns :) I would have to go to the root to unlog it with [spacebar]s - what a royal PITA! This occurred frequently because determining the total bytes in a set of dirs is a common task.

../Michael

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,640 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 75 users online (0 registered, 75 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Apr 20, 2024 - 8:15 am UTC  |  Hits:62,935,592  (7,276 Today )
RSS Feed