ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss/Bug]Renaming in sHortcut   [Discuss]

By: Walter Rassbach       
Date: Aug 16,2003 at 18:29

I have a large number (over 1G of duplicates) of duplicated files that are arranged in different directory structures. I need to keep both directory structures, but I would be happy to eliminate the duplication and replace the files in one of the structures with shortcuts to the other directory structure.

Using "shotcuts" (i.e., .lnk files) to do so seems obvious, and ZTree is the obvious tool. However, there is a problem:

If one tags a set of files and uses ctrl-sHortcut, there is no rename mask available in the prompt, and the created shortcuts are named with the same filename with the file extension stripped and replace with "lnk". That is probably the right default, but it works very badly when there are groups of files named xyz.TXT, xyx.DOC, xyz.PDF, etc. There is no way to indicate that both the name and extension should be kept and the .lnk added (rather than replacing the old extension).

There is another problem with the renaming logic used with the nornal sHortcut command. Although it seems to accept the normal rename masks, the extension is stripped off and replaced with .lnk -- Again, this is the right default behaviour, but doesn't reasonably allow one to preserve the extension. Typing a mask of *.* doesn't work even though the default name (presented in the highlight) is just the filename with no extension. If one explicitly includes the extension in the mask, it ought to appear in the result.

This brings to light a slightly different problem with the rename logic: Occasionally, one wants to change a file named abc.xyz to something like abc_xyz.PQR. There is no way of calling out the extension part of the original filename in the name part of the rename mask.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 72 users online (0 registered, 72 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 2:15 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,408,602  (23,388 Today )
RSS Feed