ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Wish: Unicode Viewer   [Wish]

By: Walter Rassbach       
Date: Feb 19,2000 at 00:00
In Response to: Wish: Unicode Viewer (Walt)

> IMHO, I won't care that the search string was
> UNIcode or not from the history buffer. I may
> search for a normal string, then turn around and
> search for the same as UNIcode. The 'F4' toggle
> simply would tell the search engine whether to
> 'UNI'fy the string or not.

> Walt

I agree wholeheartedly -- Both case and/or UNIcode should be treated as options at the time of the search. It might be nice if they were kept as "defaults" in the history entries, but I would not want to see two history entries which differed only by these "toggles".

Hex is slightly different, it probably *is* a necessary part of the history entry, but I could also see cases where one might want to do a UNIcode type search against a hex string.

However, I think we need to specify what we mean by a UNIcode search -- I see two possibilities:

1) Build a temporary/internal version of the search string by alternating it's characters with 0x00 bytes and then search for that string.

2) Search for the nominal string but compare it to every other character of the file, effectively alternating it's characters with ?'s.

There is one other consideration: In some languages (e.g., with Japenese or Chinese character support), UNIcode is real, not just a pain-in-the-... since some of those languages actually use 2-byte character sets -- Is ZTree going to support that? If so, then such strings would probably need to be marked as UNIcode in the histories. My guess is that few if any users of ZTree are actually using something that requires true 2-byte characters, but if there are they should speak up...

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 60 users online (0 registered, 60 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 8:26 am UTC  |  Hits:62,359,926  (12,323 Today )
RSS Feed