ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[help] Logs & Unlogs immediately   [Help!]

By: Alan Smedley     Sydney Australia  
Date: May 21,2004 at 17:24
In Response to: [help] Logs & Unlogs immediately (Rudy Penteado)

> ............................................ but I have no idea how
> to edit the registry in another computer remotely. I tried to execute the
> "regedit.exe' remotely and deleted a key that I thought was related
> to the login process just to discover that I was deleting the key in the
> computer were I was seating. Wrong one!
> How do I do that? And in case I have access to the Vaio registry, do you
> happen to know what keys are associated with the login process?
Rudy

The reason I mentioned "Resplendent Registrar" is that it offers the ability to edit remote registry files and/or registry files. It also allows you to do a search for the item you want and will display all ocurrances of the search result in the one screen. You can then select all items and change or edit them all in one go. I am not certain if the Shareware version searches across the network connection, I know the registered version does.

The name you are looking for is NTUSER.DAT located in the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName directory on the remote computer. But I have no idea what you specifically need to delete.

Before you do any of the following ***BACKUP FIRST***.

If you can get access to the registry remotely go into the remote NTUSER.DAT file and search for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

In both of these locations if any of the items under that are run or runonce in "folder name" back up the key by exporting it and then delete those keys.

If you don't know what the contents mean then post the exported registry item to me or here on the forum and we can have a look and make some suggestions.

Also have a look in the directories on the remote computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
and
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If there are any files or shortcuts in those two directories back them up and delete the contents.

There will now be a possibility that the machine will start OK.

Alan Smedley

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 129 users online (0 registered, 129 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 3:00 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,410,009  (24,795 Today )
RSS Feed