ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Thanks (more)   [Help!]

By: Rudy Penteado       
Date: May 26,2004 at 11:32
In Response to: [OT] Restoring Win XP When It Won't Start (Liviu)

Liviu,

> Of course, the glitch was caused by the memory test program changing the
> letter assigned for the partition where the XP system was installed.
>I must have misinterpreted the "self booting" bit in your initial post -
> thought it was a standalone memory test running off its own floppy or CD
> completely outside the installed XP.
It is, and it run without causing any problems in 3 other machines. I do not have any solid evidence that was an error in the memory test (malicious intentions are out of question).
Also, pointing such problem will be "damage causing" even if it is clear that the fault is not from the mem.test so, I elected not to go further.

> Regardless, I'd say that any program that messes with things outside its
> jurisdiction (like a memory tester changing drive letters) is either
> careless or malvolent. In the former case, you'd probably do the author
> a favor by filing a big loud bug report.
As I said above, I would only do that if I could understand exactly what was changed and be capable of debugging the mem.test program and finding the reason for the error. It is very difficult to debug self-starting stand-alone programs and I am very busy now.
An article in the Microsoft site states clearly that this is caused by a change in the volume label of the system partition used by the OS.
I should had used the expression "the memory test program triggered the changing of the partition letter.." instead of "memory test changed.."

> In (drive letter) hindsight, could be HKLM\System\MountedDevices
> (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223188) or the more sinister
> HKLM\Hardware\* or HKLM\CurrentControlSet\* disk-related settings.
Many thanks, I am going to read those tomorrow to see if I can have more light in this subject.

Best,
Rudy.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 62 users online (0 registered, 62 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 4:53 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,373,486  (25,883 Today )
RSS Feed