ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[OT] Restoring Win XP When It Won't Start   [Help!]

By: John Gruener     Orlando, Florida  
Date: May 27,2004 at 06:27
In Response to: [OT] Restoring Win XP When It Won't Start (Rudy Penteado)

> It indeed knocked down the system a second time.

Wow. I think I would knock down that program! ;-)

> Yes, I tried that but you also have to be able to pass the logon process
> to gain control of the system and use the system restore procedures. In
> the "safe mode" the behavior was exactly the same as in normal
> mode.

Yes, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure if you had tried "with Command Prompt" which sometimes works when the plain "Safe Mode" won't.

> Note John that it was not a bad damage. The system was up and running, the
> network was being serviced, the GUI was installed and running in my usual
> big screen format, etc. Only a stupid glitch in the logon procedure was
> set and nobody, as I learned in the Internet, knew how to get the system
> to bypass the logon procedure.

Well, this is just semantics, but the definition of "bad" to me is anything that prevents even the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" from working. It may be only one byte in the registry, a directory or file name, but if it prevents you from getting into any mode of Windows, I call it "bad". ;-)

> Of course, the glitch was caused by the memory test program changing the
> letter assigned for the partition where the XP system was installed. If I
> had been able to modify that, probably I could have been able to pass the
> logon step. That was what I asked in the thread, "Does anybody knows
> 'what to change' and in 'what file', etc, etc."

Sorry I did not catch up with this thread until you had already started your re-install, but without Restore Points, or a saved hive, (other than the OEM version), and no Recovery Console, and no XP install CD from which you could run Repair, you did not have much choice anyway. If you had known what was wrong, the remote registry access would have helped. But of course no one knew what to fix.

> Very nice, when the manufacturer of your computer has the courtesy of
> making the file available, isn't it? Sony did not included that option on
> my system. When I try that, I get:
> "The option to upgrade will not be available because Setup was unable
> to load the file C:\windows\i386\winntupg\ntupgrd.dll"
> The .dll file doesn't exist in any of the 6 restoring discs.

It seems to me that as an OEM Builder supplying Windows XP, they are obligated to supply a Windows XP installation CD, (separate from the CDs that restore the original disk image). I would complain loudly to Sony, FWIW.

> Conclusion:
> John, I got impressed by the tremendous knowledge that you have on the
> intricacies of Windows, although I already knew you were an expert on that
> but, Bill Gates doesn't pay me anything for me to stop the work I am doing
> and spend weeks in a row trying to know windows better.

Yes, don't get me started. Sounds to me like you should be looking to the publisher of that memory-test software for compensation for the time you had to spend in repairing the problem they caused. It never ceases to amaze me how many millions of man hours are spent by users and technicians to repair Microsoft's and other vendors' problems. Should they not compensate us for the time we waste trying to fix the problems they cause? The cost of this is staggering. Many times the billions they get by selling the software, and in some cases the hardware. Just the time spent on "hold" waiting to talk to someone can cost many times more than the software did. If they were forced to pay back at least some of those billions in profit as compensation for these expenses, perhaps they'd build more reliable software. And then B.G. wants $245 just to talk to a technician about a Windows 2000/XP problem! And try to find a Microsoft site where you can report a bug! As I said, don't get me started. %-)

> All my appreciation,
> Rudy.

Any time Rudy. My pleasure. And let me know if you will be in the area. I still owe you a dinner. ;-)

Best regards,
John

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 75 users online (0 registered, 75 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 10:20 am UTC  |  Hits:62,362,846  (15,243 Today )
RSS Feed