ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[ZEP] Shift+Insert-like behaviour for history fetching   [Q]

By: Walter Rassbach       
Date: Feb 15,2006 at 12:45
In Response to: [ZEP] Shift+Insert-like behaviour for history fetching (Slobodan Vujnovic)

> See my reasoning above in favour of F?

I think you are talking about the fact that Insert also affects typing. However, with a shift to a default mode of Insert for History/TAB, that issue essentially goes away (it is moot). You start a prompt in insert mode for typing, History, and TAB. If you hit Insert you toggle to "Overwrite" mode in which typing replaces characters and History/TAB replace the whole prompt string. Since that behavior is quite consistent and uniform, I see no issue with the use of Insert to satisfy both purposes.

> Of course, today, there is no macro that expects a history fetch to
> "merge"
> with the current text, it's just impossible.

> But if the default becomes (as you propose) for Ctrl+%/Alt+% to insert at
> cursor
> (or replace a selection), some macros will break and will need to be
> changed to
> force the desired mode.

I would like to see an example of such a macro. Yes, I agree that one can be constructed that would act differently, but, as I indicated, I think any such macro would contain wasted ("silly") keystrokes which could be removed without changing the current behavior of the macro -- In such cases, my guess is that the author already would have done so, o that macro will actually not be broken as it currently exists...

On the use of dual-shift, we already sort of have one in the right alt-ctrl (although there is no actual key that is hit). I was suggesting the dual-shift mechanism only as what amounts to a keyboard shortcut (it is much easier to hit both shift keys at once, at least for me, than to hit a pre-shift [oneof the things I hate about most Unix editors, they love them]. However, in the form I've outlined, no one is required to use those keystrokes and can disable them via a CO.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,646 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 74 users online (0 registered, 74 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Apr 29, 2024 - 2:33 am UTC  |  Hits:63,126,195  (2,506 Today )
RSS Feed