ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

changing "my ..." - Use Explorer   [Humor]

By: Laurent Duchastel     Montréal, Québec  
Date: Mar 19,2006 at 03:54
In Response to: changing "my ..." - Use Explorer (Juergen Hestermann)

> Still the major problem for me is that those 'My ...'
> folders are an (unnecessary) additional abstraction. I still see 'My
> Documents' instead of the real path. ... I
> already tried to somehow get rid of the 'My Documents' paradigma so that
> all programs default to a 'real' path but without success yet.

I agree with you, but my father, wife, sister, cousins, friends don't agree because they *like* My Documents abstraction, since they don't even know there is such thing as two partitions on their system... MS paradigm was developped with beginners in mind. Of course, I don't agree with that either, but there is little I can do about that.

Anyway, as I use Ztree 99% of the time to open files, I always think with absolute path. Same for you I suppose.

Nevertheless, one thing you can do is to rename My Documents folder on the desktop to something significant to you. You can't type : and \, but you can replace it with . and -. For instance, rename My Documents to D.-MyDoc if your files are in D:\MyDoc. Using Open/Save dialog box, you still have the My Documents shortcut on the left, but the path above the tree navigation box will be D.-MyDoc, so you will know what is the "real" path.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 39 users online (0 registered, 39 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 9:32 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,381,018  (33,415 Today )
RSS Feed