ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Q] New Date blank date/ time retain value   [Q]

By: Steve Rawling     Sydney  
Date: Dec 07,2006 at 10:18
In Response to: [Q] New Date blank date/ time retain value (Nick Williams)

> I set "New Date"'s time field to 0:00:00 for much the same
> reasons as you use 12:00:00. My habit of doing this, goes right back to
> the days of MS-/PC-DOS version 2.0x (I think !).

Using a time to force readme and other files to stay next to a subject file in sort by "date descending" (sorry I mean "date and time decending" ) is something I have also done.

A set of files with the same date and time are sorted by name, which means that name is the 3rd sort order of a date and time sort ( oops should I call that a date time and name sort???:_))) )

So anyway if you wish to "stack the "auxillary files" under the subject file the subject file has to be alphabetically higher than the rest.

I can remember renaming a readme file to zreadme for this reason and have also reduced a time for the same reason, but that isnt so robust because someone looking at the list with sort set by "name" ( or should that read "name and date and time" ) wont get the desired effect.

But if you do choose to slightly modify the times instead, reducing 12:00:00 by one second is better than reducing 00:00:00 by one second, so that maybe Alexander's reason for setting 12:00:00.

You could instead add 1 second to the subject file.

I havent done this for a while though. I havent had the need and quite frankly I think it is all a bit pedantic.

Now I usually name such an auxillary file a [original suject file name]+[meaningful suffix] such as CAT26C.pro and CAT26C-LSreport.txt and occasionally give them both the same time stamp, built only after I have finalised work in that project directory to a ZIP.

I do also sometimes create an zindex.txt file stamps with a future date, but have also had to add a second copy called 00index.txt for those unadventurous souls who use nothing but explorer's sort by name ascending with large icons.

Steve

Steve

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 87 users online (0 registered, 87 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 9:11 am UTC  |  Hits:62,399,443  (14,229 Today )
RSS Feed