ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Docs] ZTW.HLP 1.1   [Docs]

By: John Gruener     Orlando, Florida  
Date: Feb 11,2007 at 09:46
In Response to: [Docs] ZTW.HLP 1.1 (David L Gent)

> I completely understand your point about the desirability of factual
> rather than stylistic improvements and Steve did introduce his change as a
> general improvement - but isn't his final paragraph a factual change?
>
> It reads:
> "The directory highlighted at startup is by default that directory containing
> ZtreeWin, but this can be changed by various methods discussed in section 3" .
>
> It's opposed to the original 3rd paragraph:
> "When you start ZTreeWin, the Directory Window is active and the highlight bar
> is at the Root directory of the disk" .
>
> I'm not qualified to judge between the two, but they can't both be true. I
> thought his other changes were designed to facilitate this key change.

Then it would have been much more helpful if he had included a short list explaining the purpose(s) of his modifications, especially the correction he made, rather than simply submit a rearranged and reworded entire section with no explanation.

The fact is (as I see Liviu has already pointed out) his replacement is not correct. The only way ZTree starts in the "directory containing ZTreeWin" is if it happens to be the current directory, and no other directory is specified on the command line.

If no directory is specified on the command line, or as the Working (Start in) directory of the shortcut, then ZTree highlights the directory that was current at the time of launch, just as XTree did.

But even that is not totally accurate, since starting such a shortcut from a Win2K/XP Start Menu results in the %USERPROFILE% directory being highlighted, and in Win9x the drive Root being highlighted. So the result actually depends on many factors, including the O/S being used. All this detail is much more than I'd want to describe in an introductory section like 1.1, that is simply trying to introduce what you see by default in the Directory Window.

Since by default the ZTree shortcut is generated with C:\ as the Working directory, that's the place where the first-time user will probably initially see the highlight bar, as described in the current wording. If he's changed that directory, or starts it from some other directory from a command line, then it will be self-evident where the highlight bar starts. So I think the current wording suffices for a brief introduction.

> Sorry, not meaning to create more work.

I don't at all mind work that corrects errors or discusses points that are not well understood.

- John

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,640 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 43 users online (0 registered, 43 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Apr 19, 2024 - 4:47 am UTC  |  Hits:62,920,741  (1,921 Today )
RSS Feed