ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[OT]: Regex searching   [OT]

By: Walt       
Date: May 25,2000 at 04:29
In Response to: [OT]: Regex searching (Jim Wilson)

> The editor I use lists ~ as the NOT operator,
> which is something I've noticed a lot of the time
> for DOS/Windoze programs. You've inadvertently
> helped make my point about the lack of
> consistency...

Agreed -- although IMHO regex is a UNIX animal and is not really part of the DOS world, which is rife with (or designed for and by ;-) breaking all standards. [What does DOS mean -- Destroy Original Syntax? ;-] I therefore quoted the Unix standard. There are a few places where regex has bled into the DOS world -- it seems that those places are where a DOS programmer deigns to deal with UNIX (probably under duress) and saw the power of grep and deciding to improve the standard, merely deviated.

Walt

Main Entry: rife
Pronunciation: 'rIf
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English ryfe, from Old English ryfe; akin to Old Norse rIfr abundant
Date: 12th century
1 : prevalent especially to an increasing degree
2 : ABUNDANT, COMMON
3 : copiously supplied : ABOUNDING -- usually used with with

Main Entry: deign
Pronunciation: 'dAn
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French deignier, from Latin dignare, dignari, from dignus worthy -- more at DECENT
Date: 14th century
intransitive senses : to condescend reluctantly and with a strong sense of the affront to one's superiority that is involved
transitive senses : to condescend to give or offer

Main Entry: du·ress
Pronunciation: du-'res also dyu-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English duresse, from Middle French duresce hardness, severity, from Latin duritia, from durus
Date: 15th century
1 : forcible restraint or restriction
2 : compulsion by threat; specifically : unlawful constraint
Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 58 users online (0 registered, 58 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 9:45 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,381,332  (33,729 Today )
RSS Feed