ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Wish] File names with CJK characters   [Wish]

By: Michael Kahn       
Date: Mar 28,2009 at 07:40
In Response to: [Wish] File names with CJK characters (Geoff Cutter)

> The possibility of having strange characters (CJK, etc) in a file
> name suggests a need for tagging which ones they are. We may, for
> example, have to rename those which are to be sent to systems not able to
> handle double-byte characters.

I would assume the possibility would be zero if you were creating files to be sent to systems that could not handle such characters. Creating such filenames would suggest that the creator has a need to pay attention to the requirements of the recipient of the filenames. I hardly think it is the role of Ztree to support undoing such a mistake.

Ztree does not claim to support CJK filenames and certainly not under a codepage that does not support them, so why would it need to support a way to tag them?

The only filenames I ever ran across with "CJK" characters were those of some Korean files that were placed in a single directory by one user on one of my network servers. There was no need to tag them, I just called up the user and asked him to remove them. :) None of the many Chinese users ever place any files with names containing any Chinese characters on any of our servers or on their PCs for that matter. I had a single user from the art department place files with names containing characters from her Mac that Ztree couldn't handle. I requested that she rename them or remove them.

>
> Is this a wishlist candidate?
>

No.

> Even when regex comes along to enable a wonderfully specific selection
> criteria, there will still be those less skilled like me who would find
> it easier to select something to click on.

Click!!!! IMO, something to click on is at a mental level much lower than "less skilled". :) No filespec, other than "*.*" which has [Enter]) is common enough to have its own key assignment. and certainly one designated for CJK is hardly a candidate. Filespecs can be stored in history and can be retrieved easily.

../Michael

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,656 Postings in 12,233 Threads, 350 registered users, 62 users online (0 registered, 62 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: May 13, 2024 - 12:33 pm UTC  |  Hits:63,429,210  (10,360 Today )
RSS Feed