ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Free Microsoft 64-bit C++ Compiler Available Here...   [BETA]

By: Liviu       
Date: Dec 10,2010 at 06:09
In Response to: Free Microsoft 64-bit C++ Compiler Available Here... (Ian Binnie)

> The problem is not with Visual Studio 2005 itself (I have this to use
> Visual Basic), but Visual C++ 2005. I installed this, and it clobbered the SDK.

That'd be a problem, indeed. I generally install the SDKs separately, but it's been a while and I don't recall the details offhand.

> M$ did say Visual Studio 2005 doesn't support side by side installations.

Good for me that I didn't know that ;-) since I do have both installed and working. But the more recent docs, at least, acknowledge that it's possible to run them side-by-side. From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246609(v=VS.80).aspx:

" This topic has been updated for Visual Studio 2005 SP1.

Visual Studio supports installation of Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio .NET 2002, 2003, and Visual Studio 2005 on the same computer, which allows you to evaluate the latest version of Visual Studio and upgrade gradually. "

> I might give this a try, but am wary of VS 2010.
> It seems to have abandoned backward compatibility (from what I have read).

Guess it much depends on the nature of the code you are porting. The compiler itself and the standard C++ library are more closely compliant in v10. However, that may be a mixed blessing if the old code happened to take advantage of previous non-compliances.

Cheers,
Liviu

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 76 users online (0 registered, 76 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 9:21 am UTC  |  Hits:62,399,724  (14,510 Today )
RSS Feed