ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[General] Recycle bin and ZtreeWin ?   [General]

By: Peter Shute       
Date: May 21,2014 at 21:54
In Response to: [General] Recycle bin and ZtreeWin ? (Ron Metzger)

> > I have to believe this has been discussed before, but is there
> > anyway to force files deleted by ZtreeWin to the Windows Recycle Bin?
> I
> > understand that typically any files deleted from a DOS session in
> Windows
> > do not go to the recycle bin, but wondering if there is any setting
> or
> > utility that can force DOS deleted files to the Recycle Bin? Or at
> least
> > files deleted via ZtreeWin?
> >
> > ~bill
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Try (from within ZTreeWin) Alt-F10,
> Page-Dn to the 6th page,
> R (to choose your choice: None, Delete, Prune, Delete & Prune.
>
> I would recommend experimenting with each setting to determine your
> likes. Personally, I use None.

Also note that no matter what the setting, they don't go in the Recycle Bin when you're deleting files on another machine across a network.

I tend to have it set to None on servers because I only use Ztree directly on a server when I'm trying to recover space quickly, and if I forget to F4 to No during a delete then I have to remember to clear the bin.

I tend to leave it on Delete & Prune on other machines. My non servers generally have loads of spare space, and it's nice to have it to fall back on, although it's slower than deleting without moving to the bin.

I'm under the impression that using the Recycle Bin causes less fragmentation because you aren't freeing up lots of little gaps all across the hard disk that can be part filled by new files. If this is correct then it's better to let the drive fill up by always using the Recycle Bin, then clear it all at once to free up the largest gaps possible.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 73 users online (0 registered, 73 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 12:12 am UTC  |  Hits:62,385,494  (280 Today )
RSS Feed