ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[General] HugeText Editor: PilotEdit   [General]

By: Matthias Kring     Germany  
Date: Mar 17,2015 at 19:23

I recently stumbled upon PilotEdit, a text editor which claims to be able to really edit large files, e.g. 400GB.
I tried the editor (free Lite version) in a Window7-32bit-VM with 2048MB RAM only, and I was able to read a log file >4GB with about 47 Million lines, and I even could search for some text. (!)
(file reading was done in about 5 Minutes).
However, when I tried to replace all "date" fields in the log file with some other text, I got memory allocation errors.
Yesterday, I had the need to find all lines containing a keyword in a 500M log.
Pilotedit found 69 Lines, and the output was done to a separate window for further processing.

Because I know that some of the Ztree users here also have to fight with large files, I thought, you might find this program useful or at least worth a look.
In 2010, Steve Rawling pointed to Vedit's pro64 in here in the forum, so this may be an alternative (though pro64 seems to have more powerful features).
Maybe someone already uses it, and the one may give further infos (or dampen my euphoria) ;-)

The PilotEdit "Pro" version is $30,-

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 58 users online (0 registered, 58 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 4:48 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,373,349  (25,746 Today )
RSS Feed