ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Alt-F4 Compare Filter & Single Directory Workaround   [Zeta]

By: Art Kocsis     So Calif  
Date: Apr 26,2018 at 22:04
In Response to: Comparing more than a directory (possible bugs and ZEP) (John Leslie)

First, thank you for posting this subject. It brought to my attention another (of many I am sure), feature of ZTree of which I was unaware.

> [Possible Bug] I'm a bit confused about the Alt-F4 options if you have
> a Branch (or more) displayed (e.g. by pressing "B", etc.). If I have
> files sorted by date and ask it to show duplicate files it probably does
> this, but screws the sort order so I can't really tell (you also get a #
> in front of the path at the top). I can re-apply the sort order
> subsequently. Is this a bug or feature?

You did not specify which sort criteria you selected.

If you were already sorted by date and chose to compare by date then, yes, I would expect the display sort to remain nearly the same. Not necessarily exactly the same as it will now be sorted by date AND file name.

If you were sorting by any other criteria then the display will be sorted by name or size as appropriate [per ZTree Help file].

The # char is the Filter Mode char indicating that some matching files may not be displayed.

[See F1 (Help section: 1.7.2 Compare Filter) or just F1 and search: Compare Filter]

> [Possible Bug] Also if I select Unique file names it shows me files
> that aren't unique by my definition:
> ACLW0385.JPG 440,923 .a.. 18-06-17¦ACLW0385.JPG 440,923 .a..
> 18-06-17
> (Right side should be unique files. I'm comparing a dir with its
> backup.)

It sounds as if you might be conflating the Alt-F4 Compare Filter with the Alt-F4 Compare Directories functions.

The Compare Filter function operates in a file window consisting of a linear list of files from MULTIPLE directories and compares that list with itself according to some criteria. It is only available when duplicate filenames are possible, i.e., a file window display of multiple directories such as a branch. While this may be performed in split window mode, it only operates within one panel, i.e., it is totally independent of the other panel. The compare operation for unique filenames would only compare and list unique filenames from the linear (branch) list.

OTOH, when the file window display is for a SINGLE directory, the Alt-F4 function is designed to compare two different (single), directories. While this function is available in single panel mode (by typing in the target directory), it is usually performed in split window mode. In this Alt-F4 mode, the compare criteria are not simple, single criteria but are ORed and/or ANDed together depending on the choices. So, for example, if you had selected Unique and Older = yes but Identical and Binary = no, the result would tag all files with unique names AND all files with the same name that were older.

[See F1 help section: 2.4 Directory Window Commands - Alt]

> [ZEP] Would it be possible to make this work like "compare file list"
> (also Alt-F4) if I had a single dir logged (so tagging files)?

Probably not without a great deal of effort.

All of the Compare Filter criteria except Duplicate and Unique names also applies to a single directory - size, content, dates - and would be very useful. Unfortunately, Kim's Alt-F4 mode selection criteria precludes the Compare Filter function within a single directory. It would be nice to have a direct command for that function and, in hindsight, different keys for the command could have been chosen.

However, there is a relatively simple work-around:
1) Log the parent branch, level 1 only (Alt-L, 1)
2) Unlog the parent directory (Cntl-Backspace)
3) Log the target branch, level 1 only (Alt-L, 1)
4) Return focus to parent directory (left arrow)
5) Display branch files (B)
6) Perform Compare Filter operation [Alt-F4]

Since only the one target directory is logged, only its files will be displayed and operated upon.

This will save me a lot of time as, not knowing about the Compare Filter mode, I have had to tag and compare similar files two at a time - tedious and error prone.

> Oh and on that subject can I put a good word in for the 64-bit Windows
> version of:
> https://www.unixtutorial.org/2014/11/usi...ep-for-comparing-directories-in-unix/
> http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/start-md5deep.html
> For comparing files in a tree at the hash level.

I will check that out. Beyond Compare is a great file, directory, archive, image, etc, etc compare (and merge), application. Unfortunately, it is not free.

Namaste', Art

Press any key to exit,
Press any other key to continue...
- unknown

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 106 users online (0 registered, 106 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 1:08 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,406,897  (21,683 Today )
RSS Feed