ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Q] Can ZTree (Will ZTree be able to) handle case sensitive files and folders?   [Q]

By: Martijn Coppoolse   Homepage   Voorburg, NL  
Date: Jun 21,2018 at 21:22
In Response to: [Q] Can ZTree (Will ZTree be able to) handle case sensitive files and folders? (Peter Shute)

> > Yes: for example, using Linux on a dual-boot machine, I once
> > managed to create file names with identical names except for
> > the case in a single directory on my NTFS-formatted Windows drive.
> > I managed to fix it in Windows using ZTreeWin's sequential rename
> > feature using :00:. It was easier than rebooting to Linux,
> > renaming the file, and rebooting back to Windows.
>
> In that case, was Ztree unable to simply rename one of the files? What
> happened when you tried?

No, ZTreeWin successfully renamed both files; the first one got number 00, the second one 01. After that, there was no problem anymore since the names had become different.

Basically, since NTFS supports case-sensitive file names, retrieving the list of file names returns both TEST.txt and test.TXT.
Since Windows is case-aware anyway, opening a file by its name (with the originally listed case) will open the correct file, even if there are two identical file names.

Things only become murky when you try to open TEST.TXT when only TEST.txt and test.TXT exist; there might not be a reliable way to know which file will be opened.
Also, of course, when most Windows programs need to compare file names, they will do so in a case-insensitive manner; so for example, adding a file name to a list of Most Recently Used files, chances are that two file names differing only in case will be folded into the same MRU item.

--
Martijn

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 127 users online (0 registered, 127 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 3:48 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,411,757  (26,543 Today )
RSS Feed