ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] Searching *.docx   [Discuss]

By: Laurent Duchastel     Montréal, Québec  
Date: Nov 11,2019 at 22:18

Some significant time ago (2004), Peter raised the issue of searching within *.docx.
http://www.ztw3.com/forum/forum_entry.php?id=117795

Today, my colleague asked me to check possible plagiarism for a dubious assignment from one of her students. I happen to have on my computer thousands and thousands of assignments in *.docx and *.pdf from previous students for the same business case.

I would, of course, appreciate doing the search for identical bits of sentences with ZTree, but I know the ZIP+XML structure of Office files makes it impossible.

I therefore tried the inbuilt Windows Search, but it took a very long time and resulted in nothing in the end, even for the most obvious bits that should have been flagged. Obviously, the engine does't work well. :-( As all those files are also on Entreprise OneDrive, I could fortunately perform the search online (which works fine), and it worked the assignment happens to be an original BTW) :-).

End of the problem for today :-)

But for future needs, I would like to enhance the process. What would you therefore recommend for powerful content search on local PC? (Hopefully, a free or an affordable solution).

Back in 2014, Mathias suggested FilelocatorPro. What about now ?

Laurent Duchastel

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 76 users online (0 registered, 76 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 11:33 am UTC  |  Hits:62,403,873  (18,659 Today )
RSS Feed