ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Bug] zlog corruption   [Zeta]

By: Darren       
Date: Jan 19,2020 at 23:37
In Response to: [Zeta] v2.4.194 Now Available! (Kim Henkel)

The issue I'm having is that, at some point, after having saved the zlog a number of times, it gets corrupted. I typically save my zlog a few times a day when things are busy, and this issue can take days or even weeks of use for it to happen, and it's been happening for a few years now, which I know means its a hard one to crack.

And when I go back into ZTree, I can tell that the zlog is corrupted because it takes over 12 seconds to load the zlog, where normally the zlog loads instantly. Once ZTree is running with a corrupted zlog like this, then trying to save the current zlog will cause ZTree to crash -- it just disappears from my screen. And even if I don't try to save the zlog and just hit Q to quit, it also often crashes, or at other random times when I'm using it.

I did find a possible workaround, of sorts. See the image below, showing the zlog corruption as seen in the hex viewer. Near the bottom of the zlog file is a section that seems to contain history entries, for full file paths and directory paths. I've found that, when the zlog is corrupted and won't load quickly (or at all) that there is a text string, in one of those sections of the file, that is missing a lone NULL character between two of the characters in the wide-char string. If I use a hex editor that lets you insert a new NULL character in that spot, and then save the zlog in the hex editor, then I can load and use the zlog in ZTree once again, with no problems, and the zlog loads instantly. I've been testing this workaround for a short while and so far ZTree is working okay. However, I'd say that there is other corruption elsewhere in the file as well, since I find that once the zlog has the corruption problem, every time you save the zlog then the missing-NULL issue happens, and I'd have to re-add the missing NULL again after every zlog save.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 84 users online (0 registered, 84 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 5:44 am UTC  |  Hits:62,394,007  (8,793 Today )
RSS Feed