> > 1. running very old version 1.74. No problems running from
> Explorer by double clicking as default. No problems running other
> programs to open file via context.
>
> Thanks for the analysis, but that did not address my question in any
> way.
>
> Can you tell me what version of XnView you have that will open a file
> with a full pathname > 260 character from Explorer?

Yes I told you. v1.74 - it is not opening the directly - that is what all my testing proved - it does not have LFN support - other other viewers seem to including Free File Viewer, paint Shop Pro, File Viewer Lite, etc.

When I double click the file in Explorer it opens in the default viewer which is in fact v1.74 of Xnview. No problem. I can also open the file in other programs using the context menu within Explorer. In Ztree the context menu won't open on teh file - File Not Found.

My conclusion is even though it is not directly supporting LFN, nevertheless, Windows Explorer is passing the file to this very old version and it opens fine. The only reason I can think of from all my testing (lost text already explained) is that it must be passing it not using the full path and name.

In Ztree, on the other hand, it does pass the full path - and that would be another reason it would not open in Xnview - but it fails before that - gives a Windows error. When tested using Ztree in Admin mode - it did pass the filename to xnview successfully but to be expected Xnview opened momentarily and crashed.

So the difference was not using Admin with Ztree - errors before getting a chance to ass file - with admin - passed file and xnview crashed. I didn't see this before because I normally don't run ztree in admin - as I said I was testing using different scenarios.

Because I couldn't bring up the context menu in Ztree, I was unable to test whether or not a program that did support LFN would run - I suspect that under Admin rights it would and would not without it.

Does that help?

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 80 users online (0 registered, 80 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 9:46 am UTC  |  Hits:62,400,488  (15,274 Today )
RSS Feed