ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[ZEP] Option for ZTree to register for directory change notifications   [ZEP]

By: Ben Kent       
Date: Mar 13,2021 at 13:31

I configure ZTree to disable the automatic directory refreshes, because of the impact of working on network drives, and for some of my processing, it cause problems.

ZEP
If ZTree registered for these https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...aining-directory-change-notifications
Maybe it would need a new commandline switch or config option to enable, because on busy file systems processing the notifications could affect the responsiveness of the ZTree UI.

Then there could be a new UI element in ZTree to tell the user that the logging information is stale and needs refreshing.
i.e. a stale flag on the directory memory structure that the notification call back function's update.
Maybe as two bits, one for this directory is stale, and the other for a subdirectory is stale, although it might be better to do that in the UI code.

A couple of possible locations for the UI element, but I'm open to suggestions.
A single character to the left of the "Path Identification" top line (Some possibilities in OEM 0x0f, 0x1d, 0xa9, 0xcf)
The word "stale" above the directory window ordinal, or some variations to handle, this dir, this dir and sub dirs, sub dirs only.

Also
CO-1R could have a new "When needed" option, that only refreshes when the directory is stale.

Alt-Kilo could be updated to have a stale directories mode.

Alt-Log could also be updated to have a "Stale only" option.

Directory mode, maybe a new column in the "file" window to show the stale flag.

For people who load ZLog files, they will need to understand that the stale flags will only see changes after the ZLog file was loaded.

Thanks
Ben

Messages in this Thread

95,371 Postings in 12,032 Threads, 350 registered users, 56 users online (0 registered, 56 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: May 8, 2021 - 4:58 am UTC  |  Hits:39,370,383  (3,617 Today )
RSS Feed