ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Alt+Z On EVERYone's Wish List!!   [WishList]

By: Greg Akers       
Date: Jul 24,1999 at 22:19
In Response to: Alt+Z On EVERYone Else's Wish List? (Greg Akers)

OoPs!@?#    I'd intended to paste an edited Alt+Z submenu table into my previous post. (And, like others in this forum, I don't enter a password before posting my mistakes so they can be deleted later. Sorry. But I'm learning to use the Preview Message and Back buttons!) So, here is my suggested revision of Martin's Marvelous Alt+Z submenu table below. Or should I say "Marvelous Martin's Alt+Z submenu table?"

> Of COURSE! I'd love to get away from the command line parameter for this and just Load or Merge a previously saved TMP file from the ZTreeWin interface!! GREAT IDEA, Martin!!!

ZtreeWin®     Alt-Z key functions

Submenu key

Submenu command

Description (All can use a history window)

Default is C:\ZTree\ZTWIN.TMP but accepts any path and filename.

S

Save

Only save the current data and resume the current use of ZTW.

Q

Save and Quit

Save the current data and quit ZTW.

L

Load

Load data from disk and replace all current data. Gives "Data May Not Be Current" acknowledgment.

M

Merge

Load new data from disk and merge this data with the current data in memory, replacing all overlapping data. Gives "Data May Not Be Current" acknowledgment.

> Since the Load command completely replaces the current data this would be best used either right after startup or after saving the current data first.

> But the TRICKY part would be the Merge command. Ideally the (old) saved data would not replace any overlapping (new) current data. But this could be very difficult to implement, requiring a file-by-file comparison that could be even slower than just a new logging. So, to keep from getting into a long process opposite to the intended time savings, the Merge would probably have to override any (new) current overlapping data with the (old) saved data.

> I'm not a fan of consumer warning labels stating the obvious (i.e. "Danger: Don't drink this foul smelling poison") but an acknowledgement message after a Load or Merge (i.e. "Logged data has been Loaded or Merged from disk. Data may not be current.) might be a helpful reminder in this case.

I think this "Data May Not Be Current" acknowledgment should appear right in the middle of the ZTW window in a big red box like the rightCtrl+rightAlt "About" box. Hopefully it could even display the path and filename of the data Loaded or Merged. While this may look more intrusive than a statement in the command menu area, it's confirmation and warning is important enough that it shouldn't be overlooked.

> Any other comments, suggestions, ideas here?

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,656 Postings in 12,233 Threads, 350 registered users, 68 users online (0 registered, 68 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: May 13, 2024 - 7:07 pm UTC  |  Hits:63,435,372  (16,522 Today )
RSS Feed