ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

improving logging operations   [General]

By: Andrew Watson     Perth, Western Australia  
Date: Jan 25,2000 at 15:04
In Response to: improving logging operations (Walt)

Some thoughts on how to get to deeply buried subdirectories that you visit frequently.

1. Use a SUBSTed drive letter established in your AUTOEXEC.BAT or from a batch file in the Startup group.

SUBST X: "C:\WinNT\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu"

Under WinNT you can SUBST to a directory under a share without even mapping a drive letter to the share.

SUBST R: "\\SERVER1\SHARENAME\DIRNAME1\DIRNAME2"

You can then log the drive letter using ZTree.

2. The second method is to use Windows techniques (wash my mouth with soap).

Our server has the following structure:

S:\ProjMgmt\Project\ProjCode\Contract\ContractCode\

Under each ContractCode directory there is a set of standard directories for various phases of contract development and management. Users get very tired of navigating down the tree, especially as there are several hundred active projects.

We show them how, in Office apps when you are Opening or Saving files you can Add to Favorites a directory of interest. Then you can Open or Save easily by using the Look in Favorites button.

You could also create shortcuts to various folders on the Desktop.

If you read, edit and run the ZTree.inf file in the ZTW141.zip file it installs ZTree into the Drive and Folder context menus of Explorer.

Once installed, you can right-click on any Drive or Folder, then click ZTree on the menu to start it at that location.

In Explorer I have Command Prompt Here added to my right click menu using the following CMDHere.reg file:

REGEDIT4
*blank line*
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\DosHere]
@="Command &Prompt Here"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\DosHere\command]
@="C:\\WINNT\\System32\\cmd.exe /k cd \"%1\""
*blank line*

I hope these suggestions are of some help.

Andrew Watson

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,646 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 51 users online (0 registered, 51 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Apr 28, 2024 - 7:40 am UTC  |  Hits:63,111,369  (6,039 Today )
RSS Feed