ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Nit] Bookmark-Fix Wording - Sorting it all out   [Release]

By: Kim Henkel     Riverview, FL  
Date: Mar 19,2009 at 22:45
In Response to: [Nit] Bookmark-Fix Wording - Sorting it all out (John Gruener)

> First, it's clear from your statements that the Ctrl-[ code was
> previously intended to remove only the latest bookmark.

Um, no, let me clarify...not the latest - but the most recently visited.
(I started out saying most recently visited, but then only most recent, so sorry if that is what was confusing).

> However, hopefully I and Olivier have gained some measure of
> credibility over the years, which might cause you to wonder why I insist,
> and he then agreed, that ZTree has always been removing the bookmark of
> the currently highlighted directory, just as it says in the Help file.

I think this confusion is coming from assumption that we got to the the current directory using [/], thereby making it also the most recently visited
But obviously the current directory is not necessarily the most recently visited bookmark, and therein lies the issue.

> 6. Press F11 again to see which bookmark was removed.
> VoilĂ , D3 is gone. So it removed the current directory, not the
> most recent bookmark, from the list!

But I think you, and the documentation are inferring it was removing the current directory because it was the current directory - this is simply not true
The Ctrl-[ logic knew nothing about the current directory. All it knew is what was the most recently visited bookmark.
To be completely accurate it should have said:
"To remove the most recently visited directory (which may or may not be the current directory), from the list, press Ctrl-[." ;-)

This has gone unnoticed so long I guess because functionally Ctrl-[ is tied to the use of [/], so perhaps more often than not, Ctrl-[ is used when the most recently visited and current-directory are one in the same.
Obviously I wrote the function with [/] navigation in mind, so we never even discussed what should happen if the current directory was not the most recently visited bookmark.

Anyway, I think we can all agree the new behavior is more sensible, and now matches the (previously expected) documentation ;-)

Kim

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,656 Postings in 12,233 Threads, 350 registered users, 45 users online (0 registered, 45 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: May 13, 2024 - 1:17 am UTC  |  Hits:63,419,700  (850 Today )
RSS Feed