ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

NEP: The ZTreeWin Release Plan   [Notice]

By: John Gruener     Orlando, Florida  
Date: Feb 13,2002 at 05:41
In Response to: NEP: The ZTreeWin Release Plan (Steve Rawling)

> A noble plan John. I don't wish to criticise the plan nor dampen your
> enthusiasm. If people wish to volunteer then thats good!

Yes... So much enthusiasm... Don't everyone volunteer at once! :-)

> However, I think the forum is already achieving what you are proposing, albeit
> in a very "organic" way.

Well, of course it is. My feeling is, though, that most bugs are found quite by accident. That is, they are being found by normal, everyday use. You can just look at the postings and bug fixes to see how many are found this way. Certainly, a more concentrated testing effort on a particular feature will reveal whether any more bugs remain. I've been able to find a lot of them this way in the past. I would not have found them for quite a while in normal use. But the program is simply too complex for one person to thoroughly test everything.

> Perhaps instead someone could wade back through the last couple of months of
> postings to see if there have been any bugs reported but not attended to, and
> maybe report these to Kim.

I'm not sure what you mean by "instead". I suggested that folks look at their previous bug reports. If that means searching the forum for their own postings, then that's probably a great way to do it!

> Then, when a downloadable installation zip or exe of whatever of the full
> release is available, release IT either on the forum or by email to members. Of
> course this assumes there will be no extra charge for the new release.:) Perhpas
> 148k8 is it, eh?
>
> Although Ztree is probable very close to bug free, I think if there are still
> bugs then they would be of a minor type. Relax! Ztree is still a living thing.
> Let it loose on the world now and let that release be the test for 1.50.

No, 1.48k8 is not it. But I agree that it's probably close. Let's do some concentrated testing to see how close it is! Then Kim can release it and relax! ;-)

> Kim then should NOT add any new code to 1.49 OR 1.50, unless it is a bug fix.

That's the plan for 1.49. There will probably be a good bit of additional work, (although not necessarily new features), in 1.50.

> Surely he can read the forum and note any recomendations without implimenting
> them for a month or two.

I'm sure Kim makes notes of many things, but it's almost a full-time job to make notes of everything that's worthy of consideration. I know... When I'm active here I try to do it, and it takes a lot of time.

The best way to help right now is to hold the ZEPs, and concentrate on some thorough testing.

- John

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,656 Postings in 12,233 Threads, 350 registered users, 50 users online (0 registered, 50 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: May 16, 2024 - 6:05 am UTC  |  Hits:63,499,861  (7,363 Today )
RSS Feed