ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Tip] My C: disk organization   [Tip]

By: Michael Kahn       
Date: Feb 19,2003 at 04:51
In Response to: [Tip] My C: disk organization (Andrew Atton)

> Yes, but I suppose you could have directories:

> 1Work
> 2Play
> 3Stuff

> which would still respond to a single numeric keypress

The real show stopper is that I have hard coded the path to executables in my 200+ batch files. I started doing this for speed in the days of slow processors. I also have compiled batch files, so that a simple mass search-and-replace of "d:\u" with "d:\1u" wouldn't fix everything. In addition, the utilites (standalone .exe's or .com's) that are only called by batch files are not in a directory that needs to be in my path and are located in d:\u\u1 and d:\u\d2. You might say that it would have been better to have used an environmental variable to point to the utility directory, but in the old days, environmental memory was short. Anyway, my setup has never failed and it is not worth changing it and implementing numeric directories just to save no more than a few keystrokes a week.

I only have a batch file and a utility directory or 2 in my path - never an application. I always start applications via a batch file (.bat, .cmd, .btm, or compiled). If I need an application directory in my path, then I set the path in the batch file that starts the application and reset it upon exit. In 4DOS:

:: top of the code
*SETLOCAL
*UNALIAS *
SET PATH=%PATH%;d:\myapp;

::
:: body of the code
::
:: reset everything at end of the code
ENDLOCAL%+QUIT

../Michael

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,656 Postings in 12,233 Threads, 350 registered users, 53 users online (0 registered, 53 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: May 15, 2024 - 6:53 am UTC  |  Hits:63,474,253  (5,644 Today )
RSS Feed