ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

However . . .   [Release]

By: Chester Kemp       
Date: Mar 08,2011 at 05:42
In Response to: As designed (Ian Binnie)

Ian - thanks for that; and I did note that Kim has reaffirmed the design criterion on previous occasions.

However . . .

Your first reference
> See http://www.ztw3.com/forum/forum_entry.php?id=10524 for an explanation
This doesn't actually make sense to me (or at least not in relation to my starting point) - I may be missing something.

Your second reference
> http://www.ztw3.com/forum/forum_entry.php?id=105244 for a work around.

which says:

> I thought that the ? wildcard stood for one exact character (and not
> zero characters like * can), so that ???.jpg would match only 123.jpg or
> abc.jpg, but not 1.jpg or 12.jpg, but when I enter that filespec it DOES
> match those shorter filenames.

This confusion appears quite often. Although it is not very intuitive to match the number of question marks *and less (except zero)* it is quite powerful. For example, if you want it to match 2-5 characters you can use "?????.jpg,-?.jpg". Or if you want an exact match of 4 characters use "????.jpg,-???.jpg".

The idea of having a syntax of "????.jpg,-???.jpg" is interesting BUT, oh so ugly and also quite clumsy.

Can I ask whether this situation ("2-5 characters") is a common one? Or, are we just being inventive with the status quo?

I would have thought that my scenario is (ever so slightly) more probable. The start and end of a file name are the most important parts of the label - the middle less so. Take a file name (at random, out of the past) such as ztw21137.zip - the ztw says what it is all about, but the 21137 is why we have a whole host of people looking out for the next zeta version.

I would therefore suggest that my mask of "s?.* to pick out the penultimate seems a straightforward and elegant syntax. The suggestion of "*s?.*,-*s.*" would ignore a file called "hiss.boo". (and "*s?.*,*ss.*,-*s.*" doesn't work either)

Kim (sorry) - I am not as yet convinced of the design mantra in this instance. If it is right, then why?

Regards

Chester

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,656 Postings in 12,233 Threads, 350 registered users, 59 users online (0 registered, 59 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: May 13, 2024 - 9:51 am UTC  |  Hits:63,425,912  (7,062 Today )
RSS Feed